This light is one of two lights that are the current aids to navigation when entering the Kalamazoo River in Michigan. The lights are 20 feet tall and a cylandrical steel-type light.
Originally constructed in 1839, one of the first lighthouses in Michigan was seen guiding vessels into the Kalamazoo River. In 1859 this light was replaced with a new structure after being washed out by Lake Michigan's fury. In 1915, the service of this light station was discontinued. The light remained standing until a tornado destroyed the structure in 1956.
This page updated or reviewed in March 2011