The Assateague Lighthouse is an active navigational aid and has warned passing ships and local waterman of the shallow waters off Assateague Island for many years. The Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge is the home of the lighthouse and it is listed in the National Register of Historic places.
The lighthouse was constructed in 1833 at a cost of approximately $55,000. It's first light was a candle lantern. One hundred years later, in 1933, the lighthouse was converted to be electrically operated. It has twin rotating lights that flash one after the other from a height of 154 feet above sea level and the lights can be seen 19 miles out to sea. The lighthouse stands 142 feet high with a base that measures over 27 feet in diameter.
Approximately 1,182 people traveled through the historic Assateague lighthouse during Wildlife Refuge Week 2000. The National Wildlife Refuge at Assateague is an excellent place for bird watching and other outdoor activities after you visit the lighthouse. The National Wildlife Refuge System reached its 100th Anniversary in 2003.
This page updated or reviewed in March 2011