A United States World War II float plane, the Naval Aircraft Factory N3N is now in the Smithsonian Institute's Collection at the Udvar-Hazy Center, National Air and Space Museum in Dulles, Virginia.
In 1934 the Naval Aircraft Factory in Philadelphia was tasked to manufacture a new primary trainer for the U.S. Navy. Following successful tests, this little biplane trainer was built in both land and seaplane versions. The Navy initially ordered 179 N3N-1 models, and the factory began producing more than 800 N3N-3 models in 1938. U.S. Navy primary flight training schools used N3Ns extensively throughout World War II. A few of the seaplane version were retained for primary training at the U.S. Naval Academy. In 1961 they became the last biplanes retired from U.S. military service.
This N3N-3 was transferred from Cherry Point to Annapolis in 1946, where it served as a seaplane trainer. It was restored and displayed at the Naval Academy Museum before being transferred here. (Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Collections, Inventory Number: A19610111000)
This page updated or reviewed in March 2011